With its tropical climate and thriving economy, Mauritius is a destination that attracts investors and (future) residents from all over the world. How to get a residence permit in Mauritius? This page is dedicated to help you in your search, but you can also contact our teams.
Located in the Indian Ocean, east of Madagascar and Reunion Island, Mauritius has an ideal geographical and climatic position to work, travel or live. Buying a property is the best way to obtain a permanent residence permit in Mauritius. Our teams, with their ten years of experience, master perfectly this process and will assist you in the acquisition of all your permits. These administrative steps are included in our sales prices.
However, let us give you our little “tips” in this article. Thanks to them, getting a residence permit in Mauritius will have no more secrets for you.
Different types of residence permits in Mauritius and criteria
Of course, the requests for residence permits in Mauritius are numerous and different solutions are proposed according to the profiles of the applicants.
The easiest way is to acquire a property worth more than 375,000 USD to automatically obtain a permanent residence permit. Explanations:
Permanent residence through real estate acquisition
For this, you can invest in PDS, IRS, like Heritage Villas Valriche and RES frameworks with a minimum of 375,000 USD and you will immediately get your permanent residency for you, your spouse and your children under the age of 24. This permanent residence permit allows you to live and work in Mauritius.
In addition, if you reside more than 183 days per year in Mauritius, you will also be able to enjoy the status of Mauritian tax resident which allows you to benefit from many advantages in Mauritius.
For more information on the permanent residence permit, you can visit the Economic Development Board website at this address.
The Retired Residence Permit:
Retired Residence Permit: after a lifetime of hard work, there is nothing like coconut trees and spending your silver years in the sun. That’s why the Mauritian government offers a residence permit for retirees which has the advantage of being for three years, renewable once. To get this permit, you must:
- Be over 50 years old
- Not be working
- Not be of Mauritian nationality
- Not be a majority shareholder or director of a Mauritian company
- Transfer the equivalent of 1,500 USD each month to a Mauritian bank account during the 3 years of validation of the residence permit. You can do it in the currency of your choice as long as the amount remains equal or superior to 1 500 USD per month for 3 years (for a total of 54 000 USD over the period).
Mauritius Residence Permit for Investors
You can also obtain a residence permit in Mauritius by investing, at least, the sum of 500,000 USD in a Mauritian company dealing with the following activity
- Cinema and communication
- Banking sector
- Green energy and ecological products
- Financial Services
- Fishing and marine resources
- Information Technology
- Marina Development
- Tourism and storage
- Initial public offering.
The Mauritius occupation permit
The occupation permit or work permit is also a means to be eligible for permanent residence.
The work permit is issued for 3 years only for professional permits, renewable once for 3 types of professionals coming to Mauritius:
- Investor: to have this status, the total turnover must exceed MUR 45 million for the three-year period immediately preceding the application.
- Professional: The monthly base salary must be at least MUR 150,000 for 3 consecutive years immediately preceding the application.
- Self-employed: the applicant’s income is at least MUR 3 million per year for the 3 consecutive years immediately preceding the application.